I have been in this business for 40 years now. I have done just about every type of hair that there is. I like to do all types straight, curly, short and long. Of course short hair is easy as far as keeping it in good condition. People with short hair tend to have more regular haircuts. Unfortunately, long-haired girls have a hard time finding someone who will make their hair look beautiful without cutting too much off. As professionals, we need you to do your part so we don’t feel the need to cut too much off.
1. Long hair needs regular trims just as short hair does. Here are some other tips for keeping your long hair in great shape.
2. Wash hair sparingly with a good quality shampoo. Many people insist that washing here too often can leave here dried out, at least in its natural oils, and damage your hair. Shoot to shampoo your hair no more than every other day. Some people wash their hair only twice a week. Ask your trusted professional to recommend a good shampoo for your hair type.
Lather hair generously at the scalp only. The shampoo that washes through the length and ends of your hair should be enough to clean them.
3. Use conditioner/moisturizer every time you shampoo. Use a deep conditioner once a week. Start by applying your conditioner from the ends to the lengths. It is generally not necessary to run the conditioner all the way to the scalp.
* De-tangle hair with a good paddle brush starting from the very ends and working your way up. Never use plastic or wire bristles for this.
* Do not sleep with wet or damp here this will weaken the follicles and make hair strands brittle.
* When towel drying, don’t rub the hair vigorously. This splits the hair. Squeeze and blot the hair as much as possible.
4. Never tie your hair back while it’s wet. Trying to tie your hair when it is semi-damp can cause hair to become brittle. Always make sure to dry the strands before tying your wet hair to stay away from severe hair problems.
*Hair damage When hair is wet. There are chances of shedding more hair. Never try to rigorously brush or tie your wet hair since this weakens and breaks the hair strands. These stern actions can lead to acute hair damage. Healthy hair can only be achieved through a lot of persistence so use a soft towel to drain out water from your hair before tying them.
* Never tie your wet hair into a ponytail as it is fragile and therefore cause hair loss. Using hair elastic to tie dripping hair is definitely asking for more root damage and hair breakage. Make sure to dry your tresses before tying your hair.