With curly hair, you have the best of both worlds – you can straighten it or leave it curly. So, how do you tame it without flattening it?
- If you shampoo your hair every day, you are drying out your hair. That tends to add frizz. Have a plan. Wash your hair every other day (or even once or twice per week) and condition the other times you wet it.
- Don’t just put conditioner on your hair, comb it through. And, your mother was wrong – don’t start at the top of your head. Ouch! Start at the bottom and work your way up! Leave conditioner in for required amount of time and then rinse out with cool water.
- Use but diffuse. If you’re going to use a hair dryer, use a diffuser. This will help you keep your style without adding frizz to it. But first apply a gel or mousse for use with heat-styled hair.
- Hair products can either flatten your hair or add volume. Decide which of these works better for your hair – mousse or gel. Try using a leave-in conditioner to reduce the damage to your hair; pick one for either dry hair or damp toweled-dry hair.
- Let’s talk haircuts. Curly hair works well when it’s layered; one length tends to drag down your hair because of the weight. Having layers allows your curly hair to be bouncy and full of life!